Lincoln On Leadership – Chapter Two
May 6, 2011 Leave a comment
I’m currently reading the book Lincoln on Leadership. I wanted to share the chapter notes because they’re so good.
Chapter Two – Build Strong Alliances
- Wage only one war at a time
- Spend time letting your followers learn that you are firm, resolute, and committed in the daily performance of your duty. Doing so will gain their respect and trust.
- Etiquette and personal dignity are sometimes wisely set aside.
- Invest time and money in better understanding the ins and outs of human nature.
- Remember, human action can be modified to some extent, but human nature cannot be changed.
- Showing your compassionate and caring nature will aid in you forging successful relationships
- When you extinguish hope, you create desperation.
- You must remember that people who have not even been suspected of disloyalty are very adverse to taking an oath of any sort as a condition of exercising an ordinary right of citizenship.