May 24, 2011 4 Comments
I recently had a conversation with a girl on Facebook where she pointed out my scripture use had offended her. I politely told her that was ok. The bible is offensive.
- When Jesus said take up your cross, I was offended because that means I have to do something. (Luke 9:23)
- When Paul said the blood was spilled to cover our sins I was offended because it meant I’m not good enough. (Ephesians 1:7, Acts 20-28, Romans 3:25)
- When God says He has poured out His grace I was offended because I can’t save myself (1 Timothy1:14)
- Forgiveness offends me because I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. (Ephesians 1:7)
- I’m offended because the bible tells me I’m a screw up in many ways. (Romans 3:23)
- I’m offended by telling me I have to love those I don’t want to instead of getting revenge. (Mark 12:31, Hebrews 10:30)
- I’m offended because God won’t reveal to me his plan on when He’s returning. (Mark 13:32)
- I’m offended I have to give the first fruits of my earning. (Malachi 3:8-10)
- I’m offended He tells me it’s good I should meet with others. I should be able to decide who I worship with. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Wait, I’m offended I’m told how I can worship. (John 4:24)
- I’m offended that God thinks He’s the only one that should be worshiped. (Exodus 20:3)
- I’m offend that Jesus thinks He’s the only way. (John 14:6)
- I’m offended that He’s supposed to be so good yet I suffer all the time. Where’s the love? (2 Thessalonians 1:6-9)
- I’m offended by God’s ways and thoughts. They’re higher than mine. It’s not fair. (Isaiah 55:8)
- I’m offended that God is not a fair God! (Matthew 20:1-16)
- God offends me. His book offends me. His people offend me.
Mostly all of this was how I believed before my encounter with God. Some of it still rings true. Although now I’m not so much offended as is I don’t understand His ways and thoughts.
My friend “de-friended” me on Facebook. Mainly because she is where I was. She doesn’t understand God so He is highly offensive to those who don’t know Him.